SWM TL350 Jumbo: Reassembly again

A thorough check and testing of the gear cluster proir to another crankcase reassembly; seems to work this time.

As mention in the previous article there seemed to be a couple of machined washers missing from the gear cluster, so with replacement and movement of the washers to the right place, I put the cluster back into the right-hand crankcase. You need two pairs of hands [[comment from someone at the Wye Valley trial yesterday was that you need three people to reassembly a SWM gearbox; two people to work on the engine and one to be on the phone to the SWM dealer]].
Gear cliuster in neutral with the selector gears not engaged to the main drive sprockets

After moving a couple of washers around and some experimenting, tests on the gears with the crankcases apart seemed to be ok. This time, the primary drive socket on the shaft was put on with the cases apart and it seemed there was space for the tab washer to engage correctly and the shaft seemed to still work correctly. Decided to therefore go for assembly of the cases (for a second time), with the crankshaft still in the left hand case.
Gearbox cluster in place whilst being tested
Pushed the cases together, making sure that the kickshaft spline was engaged and then with a 7-10mm gap between the cases pulled them together using the bolts around the crankshaft, making sure they came together evenly. I used some (black) Loctite flange sealant around the case joints, not using too much. Put the kickstart sprockets on the outside of the LH case [[Make sure these sprockets, the idler in particular) are on the right way round.]] and then put the clutch assembly back on. Put the piston and barrel back in place, making sure the piston rings were placed correctly by their pegs. The pegs are pointing to the front on the piston, but not sure it matters which way round they go. Put the head on and tightened the bolts using a circular order, having replace a coupled of the knackered elongated head nuts earlier. There is no head gasket and it was clear that the bike had been run (badly I guess) with a gap between barrel and head because of the stripped head nuts.

I then put the engine in the frame, prior to putting the stator plate and flywheel on the RH case. It’s much easier to get the front engine bolt in place without these in place and I put this bolt in first, fairly loosely. Then put the top bracket in place, followed by the swinging arm / engine mounting bolt at the rear.
Engine in frame

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *