We’d got to the lake on Friday, after I’d spent the previous week of so working out how to rig the spinnaker correctly and how to hoist and lower it. However, a bit too much rain forecast and I’d got some work to finish.
So, it was a breezy Saturday that saw Tamara and myself, along Jace, Anita and Ieuan, going for a bit of sailing, and the Mirror was also rigged.
It was a calm morning but the wind picked up before lunch, to make it a little interesting. We’d got Ieuan in the boat and got the spinnaker up but it was a little tricky exercise in slightly cramped conditions.
Jace and Anita capsized the Mirror and we got the Scorpion down to lend assistance and though they’d righted the boat, but Anita was still swimming behind. No bother and we got her back in the boat.
Apres lunch and things got even more interesting and a couple of others who were at club thought the better of it and headed back in, as Tamara and I headed out. All fine, that was until we gave the spinnaker a go and we capsized going down on a run. With a little bit of assistance from the Acorns rescue boat, eventually got the mast out of the mud, minus the burgee, but the boat was full of water, and so was one of the tanks it seemed.
The trip back to the club was more appropriate for a submarine, and not made any better by the back of the centreboard coming away in my hand, Crap. I then made for the front deck, so as to stop the boat sinking any further and we steadily made for the shore.
Whilst thinking about preparing dinner, my mind focused on the repair and with some expert input from Jace, went for the epoxy and screw approach to enable the fix. All to plan and then lit the woodburner to get the front room to dry and give the mend a chance to dry out.
Sunday was race day and decided that Tamara would helm and I’d do battle with the spinnaker. Some mixed sailing and lightish winds, where some excellent runs were spoiled by the weed and general getting stuck. Some things did come from this:
– the Scorpion isn’t the best in lighter winds, even with the new set of sails
– the spinnaker works and seems to work well on runs and dead runs
– that we’ve still some way to go in terms of racing speed and technique (though the starts are pretty fair)
Monday was meant to be the second day of racing, however the wind picked up just before going out for the first race and it was called off. Probably the right thing to do. Decided, with the help of Henry (a newer club member) to take the boat out anyway, as a Laser and 3 Flying 15’s went out also. Some entertaining sailing, which wasn’t as bad as it seemed from shore. Some good gusts, but manageable and no one out there capsized.
And the centreboard repair held up also. Excellent. Also taping up the rear flaps on the transom makes a lot of sense; it produced a waterfall effect at one point and was greatly improved with the assistance of gaffer tape.